Thursday, July 15, 2010

Frame I

I had two huge worries when we started this project. Well, besides money. And besides getting so frustrated that I'd just up and quit. The first was setting the posts into the ground. The second was framing the roof.

Happy to say, the first worry has been taken care of.



JT's best bud came today for a playdate. If there's anything more challenging than trying to construct a fort with one whiny little kids it's...Well, you get the picture. Strangely enough, JT looked upon his friend's attitude and altered his own. Maybe because it was his fort. Maybe because he saw how annoying he could be. Either way, it was really nice working with him today.

In other news, toxic-chemical-soaked 4x4s, toxic-chemical-soaked 2x8s and 2x6s (toxic chemicals are heavy), one seven-year old, one eight-year old...I know it's not all square and plumb, but it's beautiful to me! I couldn't get the top plates on because they were too heavy for me to hold up and screw in with the 8-yo tentatively holding on to one end. Hopefully the man can help this weekend.

One alteration we made is visible in the front. The fort is supposed to be 8'x6', but 2x6s don't come in 6' lengths. The plan was to screw the suckers on and cut them to fit. But, once they were up, we realized they'd make a great porch. Of course, the entrance is supposed to be on the side, but we can rig a sliding panel (ala the myriad livestock gates I made with my uncle when I was in high school) on that wall.

The post ends are also not level. I really didn't see how it was possible to dig holes and make measurements such that I could cut them to size before they were up and attached. I'll have to go up there with the jig saw once the top plates are up.

We were out of wood and patience, so we called it a day. Since then, I've spent the last couple of hours writing a chapter on the different types of walls. Stone, masonry, dob, sod, timber-framed, stick-framed--who knew there were so many? I haven't made up the worksheet, yet. I need to make sure it isn't too overwhelming. Maybe I can present it in stages--tents and solid walls, then timber-framed and stick framed.

But the next step is to get JT some work boots. He's been asking for some, and I'll do about anything to keep that good attitude going!

I am seriously beginning to look forward to the day JT goes to college and I can claim the fort as my own.

I just have to figure out how to frame the roof.

3 comments:

  1. Google it? :D That's how I do everything. I know you'll do a good job. *giggle* You get to inherit it when he leaves. Can I come play in the fort too?

    ~nome

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wanting to build a shed/playhouse/fort. I dont really like gambrel roofs, but I think these kits are pretty cool. http://www.backyardcity.com/images/GTSales/Quick-Framer-Barn-Large.jpg

    I would like to put a sliding door and porch on my project as well. I will be watching to see how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nome: Yes! We can have sleep overs. But if Steph comes too, one of us will have to sleep on the porch.

    Mick: Very barny. Because it's so lightweight, I'm thinking of using a closet rail. It wouldn't be very tight, and it would be hung up on the outside (gotta make room on the inside wall for the kitchen). There are heavier barn door rails, but they get kinda pricey. The gates I made with my uncle were like pocket doors--sliding a gate into a pocket made into the fence.

    Home Depot has some really cute sheds nowadays. Like this one:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Sheds-Garages-Outdoor-Storage-Sheds/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhfZbtz2/R-202024486/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

    ReplyDelete